Monday, September 21, 2015

CHAPTER 2

2  Understanding Educational Technological Issues and Trends



*A CAREER THAT MATTERS



“Teaching is a career that matters to everyone…it requires constant learning” (Maloy, Verock-O’Loughlin, Edwards, & Woolf, 2013, p. 23).

            I absolutely believe that teaching is a career that matters, that influences most individuals that have been through any type of schooling.  As someone who strives to become an effective educator, I understand the significance in a teacher’s ability to convey learning to students in an engaging way they can internalize the material learned, differentiate learning to suit students’ needs, and constantly reflect and improve oneself to become an even better teacher than ever before.  I believe that a teacher must constantly grow, develop, and learn, for there is always room for improvement; this is especially true because teachers influence their students, children who we hope will grow up to become proud citizens who contribute to their society.   As teachers grow and continue to learn, they must understand how technology changes teaching and learning in the today’s society, and be able to learn how to enrich their curriculum through technology.




*YOUR INNOVATION AND TECHNOLOGICAL READINESS



Types of technology users:
1)    Digital collaborator,” an individual that utilizes online and mobile technology readily to make and share information with others,
2)    Ambivalent networker,” an individual who finds online and mobile devices intrusive despite using them often,
3)    Media mover,” an individual who utilizes online and mobile technology as a medium for interacting with others often,
4)    Roving node,” an individual who turns to online and mobile technology as a way to manage work and to gather information,
5)    Desktop veteran,” an individual who primarily utilizes desktop computer technology for work and communication yet rarely uses mobile devices,
6)    Drifting surfer,” an individual who rarely uses technology, and if so, it is to gather information,
7)    Information encumbered,” an individual who attains information through old media, such as telephones and print materials, instead of the Web or mobile devices,
8)    Mobile newbie,” an individual who rarely uses technology because of a paucity of knowledge and confidence with devices,
9)    and “Technology indifferent,” an individual who sometimes utilizes online and mobile technology, yet is happy to not use them (Maloy et al., 2013, p.26-27)

I was shocked to learn that there are so many different types of technology users, and there are even labels used to describe each type of user.  I believe that knowing these types of technology users is important because in this modern society, we have now have an iGeneration of technology users.  They may not have the same amount of experience with technology even though they are exposed to technology, and may use them for certain purposes regularly, which relates back to the different types of technology users that are labeled above.  By understanding our students better in terms of what types of users they are, teachers are able to better plan and implement lessons that cater to their needs and interests.  Furthermore, by understanding what type of technology users we as teachers are, we can strive to become a different type if we are not able to use technology efficiently and innovatively as an educator.  I believe I am a digital collaborator, but I continue to strive to become better at using technology and to learn of different ways to incorporate it into my lessons.



*STUDENTS AND THEIR TECHNOLOGIES



“…digital disconnect…students see schools lagging behind their technology expectations…As a teacher, your actions will either bridge or extend the digital disconnect that so many students perceive between themselves and their schools” (Maloy et al., 2013, p. 40-41).

            It is important to understand our students who grow up using technology, and ourselves as teachers who attempt to apply technology to student learning.  Although we may attempt to use technology, it may not reach the expectation of our students.  Thus, teacher must strive to provide active learning environments that include technology that is relevant and that engages students.  I want to become a teacher that can make learning fun and meaningful for my students by incorporating the following: the computer and its applications, the Web, inquiry-based WebQuests, blogs, digital storytelling, and educational software.

~
~
~
~
~
~
~


           
 ~FOOD FOR THOUGHT…~




1) Reflecting on your life as a student, how did you feel teaching was a career that mattered, that influenced you as a child growing up?

2) What kind of tech user are you, and why?  How will this influence you in your classroom?

3) How will you personally bridge the digital disconnect in your (future) classroom?







Work Cited

Maloy, R., Verock-O’Loughlin, R., A. Edwards, S., & Woolf, B. (n.d.). Transforming

learning with new technologies (2nd ed.). Pearson

2 comments:

  1. Hi Christine,

    Thanks for your post. I generally have a hard time classifying myself into categories, and understanding which type of tech user I am is no different. I vacillate between the first four. In my professional career, I am most often a “Media mover” (I e-mail/text students and co-workers all the time to accomplish tasks); a “Roving node” (I use Google docs to gather information from co-workers and students); “Digital collaborator” (I post information and assignments on Blackboard for students in my program); “Ambivalent networker” (Although I use all of these devices for work, I often find social media at home a bit more invasive—I like reading posts, but I don’t post much of myself on Facebook.)

    To answer your second question, it is my responsibility as a teacher to know what type(s) of tech user each student in my classroom is and take this into account when creating lessons/assignments. I hope that I can create assignments that help them move through the digital continuum and grow in the their confidence and ability to utilise technology. More specifically, I look forward to encouraging students to create and review blogs, share information through collaborative online tools, publish their work online, develop digital portfolios, search for and critique information, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly think of myself as a "media mover" simply because I tend to use technology as one of my main sources of communication with most people. I guess because I am what one would consider a "digital native," having grown up in an age of technology and using it from a very young age. But, despite these labels, I do not think of myself as that technologically savvy. Being in a classroom with students half my age who know twice as much about technology and how to navigate these new electronics is quite intimidating. I think that is also part of the digital disconnect. I strive to keep up with my future students in order to engage them better and find new ways of teaching "old" things. I want to reach those expectations of students that you mentioned. I want to be that teacher than can make learning fun and meaningful for my students.

    ReplyDelete